Friendster was the first social networking site, introduced in 2002, with Myspace starting in 2003. Facebook first went online in 2004, targeting college students, but it is now open to all. Currently there are 40 various network (according to wikipedia, see list http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_social_networking_websites).
MySpace and Facebook seem to be the most popular and well-known. Many others are just getting started and may soon gain popularity. Orkut, the newest network owned by Google, went live on January 22. It had so many hits it crashed. It is now up and running and I created a page. Its not much, I don't know anyone else who has a page, and I haven't searched for people.
http://www.orkut.com/Home.aspx?xid=402717561693593541 .
The next question is will all these sites last? Technology analyst Mitch Ratcliffe has studied social networks extensively. Here is what he says:
I don’t know if any one of these sites will be able to compete without buying and consolidating all the other network services. The problem with a social networking service is you can always go somewhere else and start another network. Most of the companies that are involved in this are going to have to do something that is open source, that allows people to share this information across networks, or no one of them are going to become a viable place for people to stay.
Retrieved from http://www.webtalkguys.com/020704.shtml
No comments:
Post a Comment